Saturday, November 5, 2005

Disclose or Not to Disclose

I did have a thought about mentioning that I have Asperger's Syndrome to the mechanic who fixed the brakes on my car when he gave me back my car on October 27th.  He was busy lecturing me about car care.  He even brought up the fact that I don't take Sally (my Mustang) to the car wash often.  There's still brake dust on the right rear wheel hubcab.  Yuck!

However, I kept quiet because he is the father of one of my co-workers.  My career counselor insisted when I got my present job not to disclose that I have Asperger's Syndrome.  Karen, my career counselor, wanted me to keep that private (I forget her reasons).  Yet, I now have been there for more than a year.  I am grateful that my co-worker gave me her father's name and number in order to get my car repaired.

This past week has been tough for my co-worker because her father had a heart attack last Sunday night on October 30th.  Fortunately, he's going to be okay and will be home soon.  He got a stint inserted into his heart.  I told her that my own father has three stints in his heart and is doing well.  The first one was inserted in 2000 after my father visited his doctor for a check-up.  The other two went in after my father had his heart attack just before Thanksgiving 2002.

Fifteen years ago yesterday, November 4th, was the day my grandmother died of a fatal heart attack.  It upsetted me very much because I had visited her in July of that year.  It was the first time we had seen each other in five years.  I had been very busy pursuing my career in broadcasting which left me very frustrated and depressed.   I wish I knew back then that I had Asperger's Syndrome.  Things would have been different.

I wonder how she would have reacted if she were alive today and I told her that I have Asperger's Syndrome.  She thought I was perfect.

No comments: