Friday, February 29, 2008

Outside In Song of the Week

February is drawing to a close.  It was longer this year because of the leap day.  At least, that happens once every four years (Thank you, Julius Cesar).

I'm a big fan of The Supremes.  I remember back on a cold night in February back in 1976 while I was watching "Sonny & Cher" in my parents' bedroom.  I was sitting on the floor in front of the bed when one of my parents saw in the newspaper that Florence Ballard of the Supremes had died all of the sudden.  It was sad news.

Many years later in 2001, I got the chance to meet Mary Wilson, one of the Supremes, and get her autograph at a collectibles show in Wilmington, Massachusetts.  What a great day for me.

Florence was fired from the Supremes in late 1967 and later went on a solo career.  She was very close to making a comeback when she died in 1976. 

It was on this day in 1968 when Florence married Thomas Chapman.

"Yesterday" by Florence Ballard (June 30, 1943 - February 22, 1976)

No comments: