Friday, February 22, 2008

Will CBS Do Autism Awarness Progams on World Autism Day?

A request has been sent to CBS executives Les Moonves and Sumner Redstone urging them to raise awareness of Autism and Asperger's Syndrome on World Autism Day, which is April 2.  Recently, the CBS show, "Big Brother," offended the autism community when one of their contestants referred to people with developmental disabilities as "retards." 

A group called Autism United demanded an apology from CBS and the cancellation of "Big Brother."  Lowe's, a large home improvement retail business, has pulled all advertisements from future episodes of "Big Brother" because of the controversy.

Personally, I have never seen a full episode of "Big Brother."  I have watched a few minutes of it in the past, but I always got bored very quickly.  I was never addicted to those reality shows.  It wouldn't bother me to see "Big Brother" canceled.  Now, I have a good reason not to watch because they allowed someone so insensitive and ignorant towards people with disabilities.

No comments: