Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cap Christian RIP



Very sad news to tell everyone tonight.  Yesterday evening, I came home from work and found my black cat, Cap, underneath the dining table panting uncontrollably.  I rushed him to Angell Memorial Hospial in Jamaica Plain and admitted him into emergency.

The doctor told me that he was having seizures had left him blind and that his liver was failing. It had nothing to do with his diabetes.  We went over treatment options, but she told me it was unlikely that they could save Cap.  I had to say good-bye to him.

For at least an hour the doctor let me sit in an exam room and hold Cap.  He couldn't see me because he was blind.  I held him and kissed him.  I cried a lot.

When Cap started having another seizure, the doctor injected him at 9:15 pm.  He was gone in five seconds.  The doctor let me sit with him for awhile longer before she told me it was time for me to go home.

I went home and told my other cat, Storm, the bad news.  She is very sad now.

Cap has been with me since January 1993.  He was almost a year old when I adopted him.  He was a great companion to me.  In February 1995, Cap was in a cat show in Boston and won a few ribbons.  He didn't do anymore cat shows because he hated the judges.

In September 1995, Cap and I adopted a kitten named Storm.  We both raised to be a happy cat.

In March  2005, Cap was diagnosed with Feline Diabetes.

I didn't know the exact day Cap was born, but I gave him the date, May 16, because at the time I adopted him in 1993 we were both watching reruns of "Remington Steele" and May 16 is Pierce Brosnan's birthday.  Cap was named after Captain America, my favorite superhero.

Cap was 16 years old.

Storm and I both miss him very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Yvonne,

I am so sorry on the loss of Cap.  I know from experience that losing an animal friend really hurts.   When I lost Joshua I cried so much and a year later, I still cry.  I wish I could make it better for you.  I don't really know what to say except that I am so sorry for your loss.  I do know that you being there for Cap and holding him was a great comfort.  Even though he couldn't see you, he sensed your presence and was comforted by it.  

When Joshua died, I was there for him and sat in front of him patting his head while he was being put down and it helped him be calm.  He looked at me with such trust and he knew I loved him to the very end.  I know that Cap knows that still about you.  

And remember this, that love continues.  One thing I got sent to me when Joshua passed was the Rainbow Bridge.  

My heart goes out to you on the loss of Cap, your beloved friend.  Please tell Storm that I am so sorry as well.  And give him a pat and a kiss for me.  

Heidi