Friday, July 25, 2008

Journalism Camp for Kids with Asperger's

I wish there was a camp like this for me when I was a kid!

In Kansas, a summer day camp has 60 children with Asperger's Syndrome ranging from preschool to high school ages working on interviews, putting together stories, and shooting videos for a DVD at the end of the week.  Camp SSTAR (Social Skills Technology Asperger Recreation) is located in Wichita where the goal is to improve their socialization and communication skills through team building, art, and recreation.

Camp founder, Connie Coulter, said that the journalism theme coincided with the campers with Asperger's interests in technology.

Journalism was helpful for me when I was a teenager.  It helped opened me up to other people.  My love for journalism led me to create this blog.

No comments: