Sunday, October 9, 2005

I'll Never Forget John Lennon!

Five years ago, I wrote "I'll Never Forget Him," an essay about where I was when I heard about John Lennon's murder.  I read it for the first time at the Club Beatles of New England's Happy 60th Birthday to John Lennon convention they had in Attleboro, Massachusetts.  Alf  Bicknell, the Beatles's chaffeur, was in attendance that day and  loved my essay.  I got huge praise for it as everyone in the convention hall applauded when I was done reading it.

I wrote that essay a few years before I learned that I have Asperger's Syndrome and that the Beatles are one of my restricted interests.  I am still attempting to get "I'll Never Forget Him" published.  It's hard to focus on a writing career when you have a full time job to focus on at the same time though.  Hard to find balance there.

In my essay I was in high school.  My father was the one who told me about John's murder that terrible night.  I also write about what went on in high school  the next day.  Then I write about the murder of my grandfather who I hardly knew.  His murder happened six months after John's.  I write about my becoming a disc jockey years later.  Very short essay.

What I didn't mention in that essay was how depressing my life was at that point when John Lennon was murdered.  I kept the stuff about my being teased constantly at school and the death of my brother Alfred out of that essay because I would have been crying a lot when I read it out loud at that convention in 2000. 

Now I am seriously thinking about doing a rewrite of that essay and adding in all the depressing stuff.  Why?  I feel more open about myself since I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 2002.

No comments: