Tuesday, October 25, 2005

RIP Rosa Parks

Last night I heard the breaking news that Rosa Parks had passed away from natural causes at 92 years old.  That put tears in my eyes.  I never had the chance to meet her.  She was one of my idols.

She was the pioneer of the Civil Rights Movement.  Back on December 1, 1955, Rosa refused to give up her seat on the bus for a white passenger.  Her arrest was the catalyst for the Alabama Bus Boycott that went on for more than a year.  It also started the Civil Rights Movement as well.  The whole nation finally noticed that segregation was wrong.

Here in 2005, the Asperger Association of New England and other orgainzations are working hard everyday to raise awareness of Asperger's Syndrome and autism.  Most importantly to make people understand what autism spectrum disorders are.  Not all people with autism and Asperger's Syndrome are alike, just like black people.  Although I have an autism spectrum disorder, I am very different from Raymond Babett, the character with autism Dustin Hoffman played in Rain Man

I have met a lot of people with autism and Asperger's Syndrome.  We have struggles.  Many have trouble living independently and getting jobs to support themselves.  Even the ones who are employed like myself still have many struggles with everyday things that people who don't have autism or Asperger's take for granted. 

There is a movement going on to educate the public.  This blog is part of it.  That's why I created it.  When I decided to do this blog, I thought of Rosa Parks.  She did one small thing and the whole nation noticed.

RIP Rosa Parks

No comments: