Thursday, April 13, 2006

Remembering Smokey

It was back on this day in 1993 when my first cat, Smokey, was put to sleep.  He was about 22 years old and suffering from cancer.  He was also paralyzed when he collapsed a couple of days before.  Daddy was with him when they put him asleep.  Mommie stayed home.  This happened in Washington, DC, while I was up in Boston with Cap.

I grew up with Smokey when I was little.  After I graduated from Emerson College in Bostonin 1986, I found a place to live in the Back Bay section of the city.  The apartment building didn't allow cats so Smokey remained at my parents' house in Washington, DC.   It was until I found a cat-friendly apartment in 1992.  However, Smokey was showing signs of old age by that time, and friends advised me that a move from DC to Boston would be too stressful for an old cat.

I still wanted to have some feline companionship.  Therefore, in January 1993 I adopted a black cat named Cap (named after my favorite superhero, Captain America) from the Animal Rescue League in Boston.  Cap comforted me after Smokey had to be put to sleep.  I cried a lot for weeks.

I still miss you, Smokey.

No comments: