Thursday, August 17, 2006

I Was Almost Runned Over 3 Times Last Night!

Last night after the Darlene Love concert at City Hall Plaza, my friend and I walked over to Park Street Station to catch the subway, which is called the "T" in Boston.  My friend told me that he was almost runned over by a bicycle messenger earlier in the day.  I told him that I was once knocked over by a guy on a bike back in 1985 when I was a student at Emerson College.

My friend got on the Red Line while I got on the Green Line.  I got off at Copley because I wanted to shop at the 24 hour CVS and the Shaw's supermarket that were near that stop.  I decided to use the escalator because my right knee was still a little sore and the steps at that subway stop are very steep.  At the corner of Darmouth Street and Boylston Street, I looked both ways and saw that I had enough time to cross Dartmouth Street before the traffic would change to green.

After I was more than half way across, I had only three more steps to go before reaching the sidewalk.  Suddenly, a guy on a bicycle came up from behind me and cut me off.  He almost knocked me over.  I jumped backwards to get my bearings, but a second guy on a bicycle was coming at me.  I tried to reach the sidewalk, but he got in front of me.  That made me go backwards again into the middle of the street.  I tried to move again, but the second bicycle blocked me.  I kept moving further back instead of forward.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of engines.  I looked and saw a white car speeding fast towards me.  I screamed at the top of my lungs becaus I was in a panic at that point and couldn't think.  I thought I was a goner for a second.

Fortunately, the car stopped before it could hit me.

Relieved, I got to the other side of the street.  A man at the sidewalk and asked if I was all right.  While breathing heavily, I said I was.  He told me that he saw what happened and it was the two guys on the bicycles fault for putting me in danger like that.

I managed to calm myself down before walking over to CVS.

I am bothered that people don't know the traffic laws in Massachusetts.  It's no wonder that so many people here are either injured and/or killed because no one takes in consideration the people in the crosswalk.

No comments: