Friday, July 13, 2007

I Only Wish Alfred was Here to Celebrate His Birthday

Happy Birthday,
Alfred Christian

July 13, 1961 - June 19, 1980

Alfred sits with friend on a bus trip

It's sad that he died so young (the result of a car accident).  The thing that I remember most about him was the uncanny way he was able to make friends while I wasn't able to.  Back then, no one was aware of Asperger's Syndrome.  Everyone thought I was a normal child and was very capable of making friends, but they were wrong.  There were so many instances that something in me was preventing me from socializing and making friends.

Everyone saw Alfred connecting socially with anyone he came in contact with.  He did with ease.  To me, it almost looked like witchcraft.  I even sometimes wondered if Alfred was a mutant.  I read the X-Men comic book when I was younger.  In fact, Alfred died the same week X-Men #137 came out with the death of Phoenix (Jean Grey).  A few years later, Jean Grey came back from the dead in typical comic book resurrection fashion.  Too bad that Alfred couldn't do that.

So here I am stuck with wondering what the look on Alfred's face would be if he was still alive and I had just told him that I have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism that makes it difficult for me to socialize with others, makes see things literally and have restricted interests.

No comments: