Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Would You Believe...Don Adams Has Died at age 82

I figured that Secret Agent 86, Maxwell Smart, would make it to the age of 86 before dying.  Unfortunately, his real life alter ego, Don Adams, missed it by that much.  He was 82 years old last Sunday night when he passed away from a lung infection.  Last year, he broke his hip and had been ill health ever since.

Don Adams was born Donald James Yarmey in 1923.  He took the last name Adams from his first wife's stage name.  He rose to fame back in 1965 portraying Maxwell Smart on the TV series, "Get Smart."  He won three Emmys for acting.

I grew up watching the reruns of "Get Smart."  He made me laugh every time.  I never found the show to be repetitious at all.  I loved hearing the jokes again and again.  I remember seeing Don Adams appear on game shows and other variety shows during the 70s.  I remember his "Don Adams' Screen Test" show fondly.  I even loved his cartoon characters: Tennessee Tuxedo and Inspector Gadget.  Back in the 1980s, I loved watching his syndicated TV series, "Check It Out," where he played Howard Bannister who was the manager of a grocery store.

He was a big part of my childhood.  He'll be deeply missed by this loyal fan.

RIP Don Adams.  Say "Hi" to the Chief (Ed Platt).
:-(

No comments: