Wednesday, December 7, 2005

The Night Before

Shortly after I set up my very first website called Uncommon Bostonian, I pasted a little essay on its home page called The Night Before (you have to scroll down the page a bit to find it).  It's about my mentioning John's and Yoko's names at the dinner table right in front of my parents on the night before John's murder.  Their reaction was very unpleasant.  They weren't aware at that time that I have Asperger's Syndrome and loved to talk about my own restricted interests.

The other kids at school didn't like the fact that I was constantly talking about a band that broke up.  This went on during the entire 1970s.  It just was not socially acceptable to talk about a band that broke up, according to one of the kids I went to school with.  I didn't mean to get anyone angry, but they wanted to hear me talk.  So I did talk and that was the only thing on my mind.

Childhood was hard.  That's not an understatement.

No comments: