Tuesday, December 6, 2005

One Year Later...

It's been a year since my terrible car accident.  I was driving my Mustang on Market Street towards Shaw's at The Brighton Mills Plaza which is on Western Avenue.  Unfortunately, I never made it to that destination.

A light snowstorm was coming down around 7 pm that night.   When I got to the bridge that went over the Mass Pike, that's when it happened.  The bridge had ice on it.  I was already going slow, but I got hit from behind and skidded one way.  While I was trying to get control of the car, I was hit again from behind.  The car whipped around quickly making me lose my bearings for a few seconds.  Next thing I knew was that the car was going off the road and onto the sidewalk.  I ran into a fence and stopped.

Lucky for me that fence was there.  Otherwise, my car and I would have struck that three and tumbled into the Mass Pike.  That would have been the end of us both.

I was able to walk away from the crash.  It was later that evening when I started feeling the pain of my injured spine and knee.  I was more concerned getting my car towed back to my condo and seeing my two cats again.

A year later, I am better.  Not completely recovered, but much improved.  I'm still seeing my chiropractor for my back and neck.  The spine is still healing.  I had physical therapy for my right knee over the summer.  I am walking a lot now so I can strengthen that knee.

The accident happened just before my 40th birthday.  I was glad to be around for it and my upcoming 41st birthday this year. 

Nice to still be on this earth.

No comments: