Tuesday, December 11, 2007

AANE Members in The NY Times

A few of my fellow members of the Asperger Association of New England were mentioned last Sunday in The New York Times in an article called, "Your Child's Disorder May Be Yours Too."  It focuses on the related disorders between parent and child.  One child was diagnosed with autism while his father was later diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.  One mother who is raising two sons with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) learned that she has some attention deficits and is now taking medicatin for it.

It makes me wonder if my parents have any similar Asperger's traits.  My mother is in denial about my having Asperger's Syndrome.  My father accepts I have Asperger's, but he doesn't understand the problems I still have like seeing things literally and not figuratively.  I do have a niece with Social Anxiety Disorder and a nephew with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) with some autism.  A few years ago, I learned that my father's deceased Cousin Peter was severely retarded.

Looks like disorders are all in the family.

No comments: