Monday, December 31, 2007

Should I or Shouldn't I? New Year's Resolutions

I never understood the traditions that come with New Year's.  Everyone has to party and drink all the way up to midnight to ring in the New Year.  Then, you have to kiss someone at midnight.  I've been to parties that I didn't want to kiss anyone.

Then, there's the resolutions part.  I resolve to do ...?

I seem to make the same ones every year and the one one I succeed in is losing weight, but not every year because sometimes I have gained weight.  I lost a lot of weight in 2007. but I still have career problems, financial problems and sometimes health problems.  They never seem to go away.  Everyone tells me I am making the right steps to attain my goals, but here I am still at Square One (and I don't mean the shopping mall north of Boston).

I would love to make money at writing, but once again I hear that external voice from someone saying "You don't have experience."  Well, I do because I have written a lot of material in my life.  Only 99% of it hasn't been published yet.  No wonder self-publishing sounds so appealing these days.

To be a good writer (or any self-employment situation), you first have to have a good stable paying day job to support yourself.  Although I have a day job, it does not provide what I need to take my writing business to the next step.  What's worse about this job (which I can't go into detail about) is that the employer ignores my true talents and experience and the co-workers seem to be stuck in complaining about what's wrong with the employer but never come up with solutions.  Not a good environment to grow and develop a career in anything in that environment.   I do hate being in a dysfunctional situation.

Now, I have to find a way out of there and into a job with money and career growth.  This is something I always have to do very often in my adult life.  Hard to believe it's been more than 20 years since I graduated from Emerson College and I am still not settled in a career that has an adequate salary.

I am one of those Aspies that is underemployed.

That is only a third of my problems.  I still have problems with health.  I feel fine, but I sometimes feel stressed out and depressed which distracts my thinking.  It's hard for me to be organized in my personal life.  I can't make big decisions about my condo or my car.  Should I find another place to live or get a new car?  I just don't know where to go with that.

Another area of my life which is very personal but also a big problem area.  I have a very difficult relationship with my parents.  Right now, one of them is having serious health problems.  It's hard to describe my feelings in that area.  I am also still single.  Will I get marry and have a baby in 2008?  I'm not interested in staying single for the rest of my life, but marriage is a serious thing that shouldn't be rushed into.  I also yearn for motherhood too.  I also like to live in a big house with a two car garage in the suburbs.  Will those become a reality n 2008?

Only time will tell.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't rush off for the suburbs and the two-car garage. I have the family and the house and the two cars... but happiness isn't something material. It took me ages to figure this out but happiness really isn't about objects. It's about being content with what you have.

I feel very rich, very blessed. I don't have money for vacations, I don't have the nicest things, but I don't want anything. And I don't need anything.

My family managed to pay off most of our debts this past year, which is wonderful. We're slowly putting money into savings for college tuitions. We're on the low-end of middle income families but we're happy.

So get happy first. Be content with what you are. Don't try to lose weight to be the stretched and painted model in a magazine. Don't compare yourself to other aspiring writers. Don't compare yourself to other college graduates who went another way. If you can be happy where you are to the point where you work on goals because it's fun rather than working on goals because you will suffer untold horror if you don't things will smooth out.

And don't kiss random people at parties unless you *really* want to. :)