Sunday, June 4, 2006

I Met The Fonz!

This weekend is Alumni Weekend about Emerson College in Boston where they are celebrating their 125th anniversary.  It's also the 20th anniversary of the Class of 1986 (my class).  Yesterday, after the morning breakfast, I went over to the event at the Semel Theatre in the Tufte Center Building about the American Comedy Collections at Emerson College, an archive project started by Class of 1950 comedian Bill Dana. 

When I got there, I saw Henry Winkler (The Fonz from "Happy Days"and Class of 1967 Emerson alumni) standing on a staircase next to seats.  My fellow alumni, Malcolm Alter (Class of 1970), introduced me to Henry who shook my hand and chatted with me.  I even told Henry about my blog, Outside In, and that I have Asperger's Syndrome.  I even showed him that my blog was quoted on the back of Ellen Notbohm's Book, Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew because I showed him my copy of Ellen's book to him.

After Bill Dana and Emerson Archivist  Bob Fleming finished their lecture and presentation, I met up with Henry again and even spoke to him about my meeting his friend John Ritter back in 2001 at Emerson.  At the time he and John were doing a play in New York.  Henry talked John into visiting Emerson while on his day off.  I met John Ritter at that event.  Most memorable thing at that occasion was that John kissed me when I told him that I remembered his first TV movie with Carrie Fisher, "Leave Yesterday Behind."

I also spoke to Bill Dana, who worked with Steve Allen on his show back in the 1950s.  Bill had his own TV show in the early 1960s which featured Don Adams.  This was before Don got his own sitcom called "Get Smart."  Bill Dana's most famous TV script was the "All In The Family" episode where Sammy Davis Jr kisses Archie Bunker (Carroll O'Connor).  I told Bill that episode was my later brother Alfred's favorite episode.

Later that night, at the Purple and Gold Ball that was at the Hyatt Regency, we were all there to celebrate the college's 125th anniversary.  Even Boston mayor Tom Mennino was in attendance.  At the end of the dance, I shook hands with Henry and thanked him for attending alumni weekend.

And then, he kissed me.  I was so thrilled.

No comments: