Tuesday, June 6, 2006

My Car is Back in the Shop Again!

Last night was a frightening and near-hysterical experience for me after I left the Asperger Association Of New England's office where my Monday night Adult Asperger Support group meets.  I had just pulled out of the parking lot, drove down a side street and turned onto the main street when I heard a noise from beneath the car.  Suddenly, I could hear a loud dragging noise under the car as it moved down the street.  I pressed the accellerator down, and the noise got louder.  The car was hardly moving.

Feeling panic, I stopped the car and moved it over to an empty parking space.  It was difficult to move the steering wheel.  I turned on the car's emergency blinking lights and got out of the car to run back to the AANE office.

Jamie, the social worker, was there and kept me company as I called AAA.  We waited almost an hour for the tow truck to show up.  When the tow truck arrived, the AAA man looked at the car and saw that the car needed a flatbed tow truck to move to the garage I wanted it taken to.  So we waited several more minutes for the flatbed tow truck to show up.  It took the two men almost half an hour to get the car onto the flatbed because the left front wheel was damaged because a strat or stut (whatever it is) was damaged making the car off balanced and difficult to move.  They had to use tow jacks to lift the left front side up off the ground and pull it onto the flatbed.

Afterwards, I rode with the man who drove the flatbed tow truck to the gargage where I last had it fixed back in December 2005.  It was an exhausting experience for me.  I didn't get to sleep until a quarter to 2 am.

I talked with the mechanic this afternoon, and he said it was the ball bearings that broke.  He also mentioned realignment and some other technical words.  My car should be okay by Wednesday night.

Car care is such a torturous experience.

No comments: