Sunday, June 10, 2007

WECB Radio Reunion at Emerson College!

During the first weekend in June, I attended Alumni Weekend at Emerson College.  This gave my old college the chance to show off the new building that was recently opened in the fall of 2006.  This new building, called Piano Row, has a gym in the basement.  It's the first time that Emerson has ever had a gym.  It even has it's own scoreboard.



The welcome dinner was held in the gym.  I had my very first Lobster dinner.  It was good.  My fellow Class of '86 alumni, Bob Stone, showed me how to break apart the shell of the Lobster and even told how to tell which sex it is.  Mine was a female.

The next day I attended the panel called Radio's Uncertain -- but  Exciting -- Future" hosted by my former teacher and current General Manger  of Emerson's WERS-FM Jack Casey (Class  of '69).  On the panel were Howard Liberman ( '68) of Drinker, Biddle, and Reath; Jeff Greenhawt ('68), VP of Sunshine Wireless Company, Inc.; Barry O'Brien ('70), President of Barry O'Brien  & Co., and Chance, a Emerson junior who works at EITN, Emerson's Internet radio station.  It was an hour long conversation about radio's past, present and future.
 

After the panel ended, The WECB 60th Reunion Party in the Lobby of Sewall Theatre commensed.  It was great seeing a lot of my fellow WECBers at this gathering.  We talked about memories of being at the AM station, and I had a birthday card for Joe Martelle, the late Andy Moes' partner on the "Joe & Andy" show and host of "Saturday Night Live at the Oldies."  Joe couldn't make it because he was busy finishing his book, How to be a Successful On-air Radio Pro.  The biggest surprise I got was that one of my fellow alumni told me that he was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome a few years ago!  His condition is milder than mine.  What a shock!


No comments: