Sunday, August 5, 2007

Asperger's is NOT a Girl's Best Friend

Why are there fewer females diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's than males?  The article called "What Autistic Girls Are Made Of" explores theories about why there is a 1 in 4 ratio.  Also, the article focuses on two young autistic girls named Caitlyn and Marguerite who are attending Hawks Camp in Park City, Utah, with boys ranging from ages 10 to 18 years old.  Caitlyn is 13 while Marguerite is 16.  They talk about what their lives are like at school.

The article made me remember how tough is was for me to engage in conversations during lunch break.  I also sometimes encountered anxiety while attending school.  I felt very nervous when I was done with an assignment or test in class and had to walk to the teacher's desk all by myself while other students were still working.

Art class for me was difficult for me to talk to other students because I was so busy working on my project.  I didn't have the energy to engage in small talk like the other students.  Also, it was a distraction for me to talk to someone and work on an art project at the same time.

No comments: