Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Well Said, Jake!

A sixteen-year-old named Jake Hammerquist would like his fellow students would understand him better.  In the article "'I'm Not Weird, Ok': Teen Suffering from Asperger's Wishes Other Students Saw Him Instead as Smart, Funny" the soon-to-be high school junior details in a poem he wrote last spring about the difficulties he encounters at school in Illinois.

Being a teen with Asperger's in high school is tough.  I remember how hellish it was for me when I was in high school.  Back then, I didn't know I had Asperger's.  People picked on me and laughed at me intensely.  I got upset very often and wondered why couldn't they see that I was intelligent.  Socializing was hard.

Please, read this article.  It provides great depth about being a teenager with Asperger's.

No comments: