Monday, September 3, 2007

Happy Labor Day!

Happy Labor Day!


It's great to have the day off.  The holiday is to honor the workers.  There have been past Labor Days in which I have wondered why I always had a hard time pursuing the career I wanted, which was broadcasting because I did spend four years of my life at Emerson College.  Not being able to break in anywhere in the huge industry of television and radio upsetting me for many years before I got my diagnosis for Asperger's Syndrome.

After my diagnosis, I still struggle with job and career issues.  So I'm not good at interpersonal communication, but the jobs I wanted hardly involved that (at least from my point of view, but my Asperger's made it impossible for to see the interpersonal aspects of jobs that I have applied for).  The kind of jobs I like to do are solitary like writing and art.  I like working with a computer a lot, but that doesn't involve interpersonal communication, does it?  A computer is not a person.

I'm generally good at conversing with co-workers, but not good at having deep feeling relationships with any of my co-workers at any of the workplaces I've been a part of in the past.  Having good deep feeling relationships with managers and co-workers is hard to obtain, but that is the way to be successful in the workplace.  I always felt my weakness was used against me throughout my professional work life.

It doesn't feel fair that I am good at doing the job but bad at interpersonal relationships has hindered my work life.

No comments: