Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Remembering Elvis Presley 1935-1977

While watching a rerun of the Monkees' TV show one afternoon just before 5:30 pm in Washington, DC, I was looking at Mickey Dolenz sing and abruptly saw the TV station's anchor man interupt the show while the shocking news that Elvis Presley had died in Memphis, Tennessee.  Next thing I saw was the closing credits of the Monkees' show.

I went downstairs and found my mother in the garage.  "Elvis Presley died, Mommie!" I told her in shock.  She was surprised when I said that.  She asked me how did I know and I told her what happened.

Every channel had their news shows talking about Elvis' death.  Over the days all the details came in about him being overweight and taking pills.  The newspapers,  magazines and radio stations were filled with talk about Elvis.  Everyone, including me, was upset that he had died.  He was only 42.

Today he's still remembered. 

No comments: