Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Running With Scissors - Great Movie

I managed to see the new movie, Running With Scissors, over the weekend.  I enjoyed it, despite it being very long (2 and a half hours).  It is an adaptation of the memoir by Augusten Burroughs, who has a brother with Asperger's Syndrome (the brother is not seen in the movie though).

It's a movie about Augusten, a gay teenager with a manic mother who is a frustrated writer, who is stuck living with his mother's psychiatrist and his dysfunctional family after his parents divorce.  The story takes place back in the 1970s.  The soundtrack is great.  Annette Benning, who plays Augusten's mother, puts in a great performance as the mother.

I could easily relate to Augusten's problem of being trapped in a difficult situation.  When he says out loud that he wants to have a normal life, I remember the many times I said that when I was his age.  By the way, I was in my mid-teens around the same time Augusten was back in the late 1970s.

Definately a must-see movie.

Trailer

No comments: