Wednesday, November 7, 2007

If Only They had Social Skills Seminars when I was in College

I just read an article about a Dr. Mary Riggs Cohen teaching a Social Skills Seminar who college students that have Asperger's Syndrome at the University of Pennsylvania.  I only wish I had something like that when I was a student at Emerson College back in the 1980s.  However, no one knew about Asperger's Syndrome back then.  Everyone thought I was just a difficult person who didn't want to get along with others.  How wrong they were.

The transition to adulthood was difficult.  So many misunderstandings that set me off angrily towards the other person.  I sometimes felt I was in the "Twilight Zone" because I seem to speaking one language that no one seemed to understand and they were always assuming that I would say or do what was expected of me.  I didn't know what was expected of me.

No comments: