Friday, July 22, 2005

I Met Temple Grandin Who Is Also on The Spectrum Like Me

Last Thursday night, July 21, I went over to the Harvard Book Store on Mass Avenue in Cambridge and saw Temple Grandin talk about herself, her career, her autism and her latest book, Animal Translations.  I was lucky enough to be in the line for autographs, even though I was unable to afford to buy her book at the moment.

I told her that I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome only three years ago and currently working on my own memoir.  She was interested to hear me out about my desire to be a published writer like herself.  She invited to stay around after the booksigning to talk more.  Stephen Shore, the President of the Asperger Association of New England, was there also to see Temple.

A woman approached me after I had told a reporter from the Weekly Dig that my mother was from Texas and raised me to eat meat.  She told me that she suspected that her brother who is 60 years old has Asperger's Syndrome but refuses to be diagnosed.  I told her that it is up to him whether or not he wants a diagnosis.  She told me that he has all the signs of AS.

I enjoyed the event very much, despite how hot it was in there.  It was a big crowd and Temple's book sold out very quickly.  It was almost 9 O'Clock when I left the bookstore.  Temple was still talking to a few people about animal rights.

No comments: