Friday, July 8, 2005

Why the name "Outside In" and not "Uncommon Bostonian"?

Okay, here I am with my own blog.  Currenly, I am working on a book proposal and query letter for my memoir called "Uncommon Bostonian" right now, but I'm not naming my blog after my memoir.  Why?  Because last fall I wanted to do a radio public affairs show about adults with Asperger's Syndrome with Allston/Brighton FreeRadio (a small community radio station in Boston).  I had a partner who was an intern at the Aspeger Association of New England (AANE) who was going to line up guest for me to talk to for my one hour show.

It was a good idea to raise awareness about Asperger's, but diaster struck on December 6, 2004.  I was in a car accident.  My Mustang was hit from behind twice by two cars during a light snow storm in Brighton.  The second impact made my car go off the road and hit a fence.  Luckily I was able to get out of the car after the crash, but I was injured with multiple injuries that I am still recovering from.  So it wasn't feasable to do a radio show at that point.  Also my partner's internship ended in December and AANE didn't have a new intern to help me out so I couldn't use the title that a fellow "Aspie" came up with: Outside In.  

I always wanted to do a blog, but I couldn't come up with a name for it.  I did consider the title of my memoir, but I am using that title for my website: THE UNCOMMON BOSTONIAN (http://www.yvonnechristian.unimstores.com).  Besides, I didn't want to throw away the name "Outside In" so here I am using it.

No comments: