Saturday, July 30, 2005

iPod Killed The Radio Star?

I recently read the Kill The DJ article in the latest Weekly Dig.  The story is about Mike FM (formerly Star 93.7 in Boston, MA) which is just an iPod playing on shuffle 24/7 with no disc jockeys.  So does that mean the disc jockey is going the way of the Dodo?  When I was a disc jockey, I usually kept my talking to a minimum because the music was the star of the radio.

Most people have come up to me over the years and complained about what was going on the radio: Endless contests, ridiculous polls, and mindless banter.   I lost count on the many times people told me that they couldn't stand Charles Laquidara, Joe Martelle, or any other disc jockey for saying or doing something on the air during their shows.

One interesting thing I should mention is that nobody ever complained about Dude Walker (the disc jockey I listed first in my favorite DJ category).

So does that mean the Disc Jockey is going to become an extinct job position in the future?  Only Time Will Tell.  That 's a song I heard on Mike FM recently.  Asia was the name of the band who did that song.

[Edited on 7/31/ to add] 

I forgot to mention that the article had a photo and comment from one of my teachers from Emerson College, Jack Casey, who is currently the General Manager at WERS, the FM Emerson radio station.  Looking good, Jack!  :-)

No comments: