Sunday, July 10, 2005

So Long Steve

Last Friday morning, just before work, I looked at the newspaper and read the news (oh, boy!) that Charles Laquidara's replacement, Steve Sweeney, had been let go by WZLX.  That almost made me do cartwheels!

When Charles retired in 2000, I was no longer interested in radio and had no desire to be his replacement.  I was suprised that WZLX hired Sweeney, a local stand-up comic in Boston for many years but not well-known nationally.  Sure he appeared in a few Jim Carrey movies but they were very minor parts.  His ability as a disc jockey was weak because he wasn't a big fan of rock music and it showed.  Sure he's a big Eric Clapton fan but who isn't?  He never made me laugh at all.

It's true that I never seen his stand-up act, even though WZLX had many times gave away tickets to see Steve do his stand-up routine for free at Comedy Connection.  I was never interested in going.  In fact, I told a friend once that WZLX had to give me money to make me go to one of his stand-up shows.

It was obvious that Steve got Charles's old job via networking, not because of his talent.  I had more experience at being a disc jockey than he did anyway, but as I mentioned above I was no longer interested in radio.

Sure hope that this time they will hire someone who is talented and funny (Maybe David Lee Roth).  I was getting tired of jumping around between WZLX and WODS every morning for the last two years.

No comments: