Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Bill Clinton 1, Chris Wallace 0

I just saw the Clinton-Wallace exchange at YouTube.com.  I wrote this letter to Bill Clinton and sent it to his Foundation.

===================================================
Dear Former President Bill Clinton,

I just saw you and Chris Wallace on YouTube.com.  If Chris Wallace is a professional journalist (Yes, I do know that he’s Mike Wallace’s son), he should have known that you were upset over that ABC docudrama that aired last week and shouldn’t have stupidly thrown that question about Osama bin Laden in your face at the beginning of the interview because it would upset you.  I know this because I went to Emerson College, but I’m not a TV journalist right now.  I don’t blame you for getting in his face about that question.

Those Fox News people are always too conservative for me.  I never bothered watching their network, even when I had cable television.  I don’t have cable anymore because it got too expensive.  Those Fox News people don’t like you at all.  I’m not surprised because conservatives don’t like people who are different.  I know because I’ve been around lots of conservative people most of my life.  They were always quick to misjudge me on very little evidence.  Sure, I’m different, but I didn’t have a choice at being different.  It was only for 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, a form of autism.

The real problem with those conservatives, right-wingers and Fox News people is that they don’t want to know the real you or even try to accept you as you are.

I hope you’re feeling better after that interview.  You should get some rest and relaxation after the busy week you’ve had last week.  You’ve had two heart surgeries within the last two years, so you need the rest.  Also, if you’re near a computer, please check out my blog, Outside In, at http://journals.aol.com/yechristian/OutsideIn/ where I write about my having Asperger’s Syndrome. 

Btw, I saw you on the cover of Fortune magazine.  You look great as always, just like you did when I met you at Barnes & Noble in Boston back in July 2004 for the book signing.  My cousin Michael happens to be one of your favorite Secret Service Agents.

Stay well,


Yvonne Christian



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clinton's conservative critics have referred to him as being rattled or unhinged in that interview. I saw the interview and I don't think he was at all. He was angry to be sure, but the anger was expressed in a rather controlled manner. I don't think he was thrown for a loop by the line of questioning. I'm sure he expected something like this, (remember, this is Fox) and I think his response was exactly as he planned -- carefully controlled anger.

Back in the eighties Bush Sr, when he was vice-president was interviewed live on the CBS nightly news and was asked some pointed questions about the then breaking Iran-Contra scandal. Bush later claimed that this was a bait and switch; he was going to be interviewed about something else. If you want to see unhinged, look at Bush in that interview. He was banging the desk with his hand and hollering. I will say that Rather asked some rather inappropriate questions that went beyond anything Chris Wallace said. But, regardless, it wasn't very presidential. Nobody really cared, because Rather really was being a jerk. And because Bush was thought of as a political "wimp" on both sides of the aisle, it gave him a chance to look very unwimpish, so it actually helped him in the polls.

Gordon